Here’s how you can respond to sellers who want to discount your commission.

When a seller asks you to discount your fee, what do you do? Today we’re going to cover two of the 13 dialogues we use in this situation. 

First off, you need to realize something: 15% of the world buys on price. The other 85% are value-driven. Think of something you recently bought solely because of the price. Next, think of something you’ve bought because of the brand and only the brand. Finally, think about something that you bought and didn’t care what the price was.

As the old saying goes, “It’s unwise to pay too much, and it’s even worse to pay too little.” 

With these dialogues, you have to place a high value on yourself and the service you provide before you can expect someone else to do the same. You have to determine your value propositions, services, and pricing.

“The ‘just say no’ strategy is pretty self-explanatory.”

The first dialogue is called “isolation.” Here’s how it goes: When a client asks you to discount your fee, respond by saying, “If we can come together on this fee issue, it sounds like I have the job.” If they say, “No, I have other questions,” you know you have more work to do. If they say yes, then you’ve isolated that the problem is solely based on the fee.

The second one is called “just say no.” It’s pretty simple. When they ask if you will take a discount on your fee, you smile, chuckle, and say, “No, but did you have any other questions?”

There are 11 more ways to negotiate and protect your fee. If you’d like to learn more about them or just have any other questions for me, don’t hesitate to reach out via phone or email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Strategy Call